Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Minnesota Centennial Showboat: Dracula, adapted by Charles Nolte

(Click on each photo to bring up a large, readable version.)








For many, many years, the Minnesota Centennial Showboat was docked by the river below the hill on which was located the University of Minnesota. I well remember my early twenties, and the many plays that I and may family went to see aboard the Showboat. It was a summertime tradition.

Than, one year, the bright bulbs who owned the Showboat decided that it needed to be repaired, because it was no longer seaworthy - even though it was docked and never went anywhere. So, it was taken out of service...as repairs were being made. And then one day, the repair crew working on the Showboat, Union members all, I have no doubt, were using an acetylne torch or smoking or something. A spark hit something, and apparently they had no fire extinguishers..so the ship burnt to the water line.

Goodbye, Showboat.

Above are 8 pages of a brochure (as opposed to a program) that was sent to my house by the University of Minnesota, advertising the July 12 - September 1, 1991 performance of Dracula on board the Showboat.

At this late date I can't remember the names of the actors who appeared, although I believe one of them went on to national TV work, a woman actor whose last name was Richardson, and whom I'd liked in a couple of plays - who had a few roles on Law and Order at least. The male actor, who played Dracula, later would have another star turn in the hilarious Mystery of Irma Vep (a play I enjoyed so much that I think I went to see it six times or more!) Vaughn...somebody.

Anyway, here's the brochure. When I come across the actual program for the play, I'll share that here as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment